At South Bay Pain Doctors, we are committed to getting you out of pain so that you can live life to the fullest. Our certified Pilates Instructors offer customized workouts for every condition. All of our treatments are based on the individual and their specific needs. Through our unique and integrated approach our patients trust us to get them back to feeling and functioning their best as quickly and safely as possible.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is a body conditioning routine that may help build flexibility, muscle strength, and endurance in the legs, abdominals, arms, hips, and back..
How can we help?
The Pilates Method is a conditioning system that strengthens and stretches the body uniformly, correcting alignment and posture, while incorporating breathing patterns that stimulate the mind and relax the body. The Method is a series of exercises that can be done on a variety of special equipment or on the floor. South Bay Physicians, incorporate the Pilates technique into their rehabilitation programs.
The important principles of Pilates are consistent with an exercise program that promotes back health. A top focus of Pilates is neutral spine alignment. “Neutral spine alignment” is the medical term for what is commonly called “good posture” and refers to the natural curvatures that a healthy spine should have. Many people have lost the ability to achieve neutral spine alignment after years of improper posture. Proper posture, combined with deep back and abdominal muscle strengthening exercises, often leads to reduced back pain and improved quality of life for many people.
Our Pilates program also teaches awareness of movement habits that may stress the spine, and helps the patient change these habits to those that preserve neutral alignment. Awareness of excessive tension and the use of proper focus helps the patient use the body efficiently and reduce pain in the long term.
How can it help me?
The Pilates Method incorporates a series of around 500 exercises that emphasizes on abdominal strength and control along with spinal articulation. This aligns the body and trains it to maintain a strong supported position. The result of practicing the Pilates Method is a strong, yet flexible, well-toned body, without muscle bulk. The adaptability of Pilates means it can benefit anyone not matter what your level of expertise, from the super-fit athlete to the pregnant woman, and everyone in between; including those with injuries or chronic conditions.
- Gentle Body Conditioning Pilates puts no stress on your joints, therefore creating a safer and gentler exercise regimen. Pilates is easy on the ligaments and cartilage around your joints, especially your knee and shoulder joints. It conditions your muscles in a balanced way and increases your self-awareness by drawing your focus inward. Pilates is very rehabilitative and is very beneficial when paired with physical therapy sessions.
- A Strong and Supported Spine Pilates improves support to your spine, creating space between each vertebra. That extra space creates more mobility, transforming your core and spine. After practicing Pilates consistently, it will help prevent degenerative spinal problems, such as slipped disks.
- Better Balance and Coordination Pilates stabilizes your core, causing better balance and coordination. Pilates works the small, deep muscles needed to keep your body steady when walking and will help keep your spine both supple and strong.
- Reduced Pain and Stiffness Exercise is vital to managing arthritis and other chronic pain conditions, because it increases flexibility and reduces pain and fatigue. Stretching helps pump vital nutrients to your muscles and tendons, which help keep them healthy and minimize your risk of injury. As circulation increases, your legs, back, neck, and shoulders loosen up, relieving aches and stiffness. Pilates also helps to eliminate stress and tension, driving away headaches, back pain, neck pain, and other aches and pains.
- Improved Emotional Health Pilates is very beneficial to your emotional health. As you lengthen and strengthen your muscles, you will improve your bodys circulation, soothing your nervous system and putting your mind at ease.
Who we are
We are an integrated practice located in the beautiful city of Torrance, California. Minutes away from Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach, we have an Orthopedist, Neurologist, Chiropractor, Pain Management, Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer and certified Pilates instructors all on staff, available for your convenience. No more jumping around from doctor to doctor, our team of specialists work together for superior and customized treatments. In our modern office, patient comfort and satisfaction are our priority. Our facility is equipped with state of the art equipment. We provide a matrix unit, traction and decompression table for the latest cutting edge treatments. We also offer top of the line exercise machines for optimal rehabilitation.